Wednesday, December 7, 2011

David Smith visit at the Whitney Museum - Leila Velasco


David Smith: Cubes and Anarchy
Whitney Museum
           
            During my visit to the David Smith’s exhibition at the Whitney Museum I was able to find interesting artwork from this artist. For example, there was one I saw called 5 1/2 which was a sculpture made from painted steel and I like it since it looked very similar to the Tetris game because it had the “L” shaped piece at the top of the sculpture, I also liked it because the artist used beautiful colors to make the sculpture stand out more for the viewer using the gold colors. Another one I liked was Zig IV because I liked how the artist used the paint in the sculpture and how the steel was able to preserve the paint without staining it, I’m sure he had to use a special paint to for the steel sculptures so it can stay there for a long time and make sure the sculpture didn’t moist otherwise the colors in the sculpture would look like the greenish color in The Statue of Liberty, I also like how Smith was able to mix the paint with the original color of the steel on this piece because the gold color makes the sculpture look colorful in the steel and that makes the sculpture look interesting for the viewer. The last art piece I liked was Cubi XXI, this piece also reminded me of a popular game called Tangram which consists on building different specific shapes such as the silhouettes of a house or a cat using the geometric shapes like the square, two large triangles, one medium triangle, two small triangles and one parallelogram to built the desired shape you want. This sculpture reminded me of that game because I think this artist used it as an inspiration for his sculpture because when I saw this sculpture I saw the two triangles building the squares but this time in three-dimensional shapes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment