Wednesday, December 7, 2011

9/11 Memorial Park - Leila Velasco


9/11 Memorial Visit

            My experience on going to the 9/11 Memorial was interesting because I’m that type of person that loves listening to stories about important events that happened in the world, I’ll say that I was fortunate that I was not here when it happened since I was in Colombia at that time, however, my mother was so I was worried for her life because I didn’t know if she might be working in one of the towers or that she might have been anywhere near the towers, I’m looking forward to visit the museum when it opens because I want to see the artifacts that workers collected from the 9/11 rubbles. When I went to the 9/11 memorial park I got to see all the names that were inscribed on both of the two pools, I noticed that in each side of the pillars there was some printed numbers which to me it was interesting because I think that was a way to know how many people died on September 11th. In my opinion, the people who constructed the pools chose a good way to symbolize the many tears and sadness that the families had to go through when they saw the two planes crashing, the towers falling down and even the people who were jumping out the windows when this tragic event happened. When I was looking at the holes in the middle of the waterfalls I wondered "what could there be beyond that hole?" but at the same it made me think that that hole in the middle of the two pools was also a way to symbolize that there's still a hole in every heart of the families who lost someone very close in the World Trade Center. It was interesting that the day the class visited the memorial it was a cold and rainy day so when it started to rain I saw the small drops in the names as if the souls of every person who died in the World Trade Center was crying. Going to the memorial was a wonderful experience and I liked it so much that my favorite part were the waterfalls, I liked it so much that I even took a 10 to 25 second video of both waterfalls because I wanted to show my mother and sister how beautiful the waterfalls looked and how big they look, I want to go back during night time because I’ve seen some pictures that they turn the light on at night so people can appreciate the waterfalls at night

No comments:

Post a Comment